As 2010 draws to a close, I figured it’s time to give myself a year-end review. What have I done this year?
- Shut down my Yahoo Blog due to the ridiculous amount of spam I’ve been getting.
- Renewed hosting subscription with my original hosting service BY MISTAKE. They automatically charged me through Paypal and I didn’t realize it until I got the invoice. I paid for one year’s hosting but at the time I was planning to move to another hosting service as my old one kinda sucked (it was a “one-man” company). The downtime was ridiculous (I’m talking about days!). I wrote to them to cancel the service as soon as I got the invoice and asked them (nicely) if I could get a partial refund of the yearly subscription fee. All they did was to cancel my Paypal subscription. No replies whatsoever! Note to self: avoid doing business with “one-man/woman” companies.
- Opened an account with Bluehost and bought a new domain (www.ExpandYourCreativity.Com) as I wanted to get a fresh start.
- Created a personal blog for myself.
- Created a personal blog for my good friend.
- Created a blog for our joint projects which have sort of been abandoned! Gotta do something about this.
- Bought 2 domains from NameCheap and created a blog for an idea that I had. I thought it would be fun but it wasn’t. The blog is just sitting there collecting dust now.
- Bought 1 domain from NameCheap and created another blog for another idea that I had. Started working on this about a month ago and it’s moving forward.
- Bought 1 domain from NameCheap. I have an idea for a little project but don’t have the resources to execute it yet.
- Would have liked to update my blogs more often but got distracted by a lot of other things. Hmmm… gotta do something about this.
- Finished a couple of projects at work. My paid job is just part of my life, a part that I want to minimize as much as possible! That’s why I refuse to become a full-time employee.
- Spent on average 2.5 days a week on volunteer work and very much enjoyed doing it.
- Due to the low interest rate, I decided to open an investment account with Questrade and invest some of my savings in the stock market. I picked Questrade because of their low commission rate ($4.95 per trade). So far, it has served me quite well.
- Started to learn to invest in the stock market. I like to learn so this is kind of fun. It’s not easy though… especially when I could lose money! My portfolio has been up about 40% this year so I’m happy.
- Traveled to Asia this spring. Didn’t expect to travel to Asia again so soon as I was in Taiwan for a full month in fall 2009. I was only there for a couple weeks but it was fun (even though I came home with a bad cold). Good times!
- Went to Los Angeles for a few days early in the summer. Short but fun!
- Went to Canada’s Wonderland with friends and despite the weather, we had a lot of fun.
- Went hiking once (would have loved to go more often).
- Went to the Thousand Islands on a perfect day. Even went to the Boldt Castle this time, which turned out to be just ok (80% of the castle was under construction!)
- Spent a day at the Centre Island with friends. Great time!!
- Set a goal for myself to read 4 books a month in October. So far so good. Read 4 in October and another 4 in November. I’m reading my first book of December now. My Kindle and iPod (audio books) helped a lot.
- Tried to run 5k 4 times a week… managed to do it 3 times a week on average.
- Tried to get up at 5:15am every morning so that I could have some quiet time to do things in the morning. Well, I did quite well for about a month and then I slipped… mostly because I’ve been staying up late. This is something I need to work on.
- Set a goal for myself to spend 30-60 minutes on reading Buddhist books daily… managed to do this about 3 days a week only. Sigh! Definitely need to try harder.
- Learned to cook by experimenting. I still suck at cooking but that’s ok as I’m the only person who eat the food I cook anyway. Hahaha!
- Haven’t been able to draw as much as I would have liked but did manage to draw several e-cards for several special occasions. Also designed a series of stuff for an upcoming volunteer event. That was fun.
I’m going to come up with a list of new year resolutions based on this review.